The holidays are coming up fast, and if you are like me then you are super excited! With the crazy year this has been, I can't help but feel overly excited for the holiday season to hit. The fall is nice, but I love myself some rom-com Christmas movies and baking sessions with my mom!
In the past, that excitement has also involved shopping on Black Friday and waiting in line at Macy's for that doorbuster. The past two years have looked different for me, as this year will look different too. I started shopping more local for holiday presents last year and it was made easier by the abundance of holiday markets around town. This year it's going to be even more challenging to find small handmade gifts but even more important.
Small businesses are built off of your desire to buy from them. It's more than placing a quick order on Amazon. You are buying from a person, supporting their home and family, showing them that their talents and art are important. Even better, you are giving those items as a gift!
Here are some ways you can support locally owned small business in your town!
- Buy gift cards to locally owned spas or salons!
- Find a local bookstore to buy any books from instead of Amazon
- Ask around on Facebook to see if your friends have a small business that may fit your list
- Find any holiday markets that may still be happening in outdoor areas to support vendors
- Give gift cards to local restaurants! Experience gifts are just as valuable!
If you feel you live in a town that may not have all of the small businesses you would need to check off your list, try shopping online too. Using websites like Etsy can help you find other small business across the country to support this holiday.