How Toxic is Your Nail Polish?

How Toxic is Your Nail Polish?

It's not secret that nail polish is a beloved way to express yourself. The numbers will tell you, nail polish is a 14 billion dollar industry! So how can it be bad for you? 

There are no laws forcing nail polish companies to list their ingredients, making it easy for them to use toxic and harmful ingredients because who is stopping them?

According to the Non Toxic Revolution, the top 3 toxic ingredients in nail polish are:

  • Dibutyl phthalate (DnBP): Phtalates are endocrine disruptors that are linked to issues like hormone changes, diabetes, and thyroid irregularities.
  • Toluene: has a long list of effects from eye irritation to kidney and nervous system damage.
  • Formaldehyde: A known carcinogen.

 

Why does this matter? We just put nail polish on our nails! 

Not only do we inhale the odors of nail polish and nail polish remover, but our nails and skin are also entry points for these chemicals to enter our bloodstream.

A repetitive exposure to these chemicals can have long term health concerns including hormone changes, diabetes, and thyroid irregularities.

 

I know you are thinking we are telling you stop painting your nails, but we aren't! We are informing you to make healthier decisions. 

Lucky for you, you don't have to give up the expression of yourself through your nails! There are companies that offer less toxic options to highly reduce your expose to these toxins.

For adults: Palate Polish and Pacifica's 7-free line are great alternatives.

For children: Piggy paint is a great choice!

Back to blog

Leave a comment